Types of Low-Income Housing

If you are homeless or struggling to maintain stable housing, there are resources available to help you secure temporary or permanent housing. Some of these services are targeted specifically at veterans, people with mental illnesses, or people in recovery.

Many of these programs have either eligibility requirements based on income or sobriety and some programs will require you to adhere to certain expectations once you are housed—such as community work and random drug testing.

Due to a shortage of funding as well as affordable housing and beds, these programs may not always have the capacity to assist you right away and you may be put on a waiting list. For more information on where you can stay in the meantime, click here (emergency shelters).

*Some of the programs require you to be referred through The Coordinated Assessment and Referral System (CARS) which is the referral system from which all federally-funded homeless housing programs must receive their clients from. For more information, click here.

Temporary or Transitional Housing

There are special temporary housing opportunities for people who are transitioning from homelessness and need a stepping stone as they prepare themselves to handle the demands of permanent housing.

Community Homeless Solutions, Community Human Services, Pueblo Del Mar and Veterans Transition Center are participants in the Coordinated Assessment and Referral System, also known as CARS. Click here to learn more about the process to get into their programs.

Project Based Housing

Project based housing is a program that provides rental housing to low-income households in privately owned rental units. The subsidy is with the location, so if you move out you will no longer receive rental assistance.

Rents are dependent on income.

295 Main Street Suite 100, Salinas  (831) 757-6251

  • Affordable apartments for rent in Monterey, Carmel Valley, Marina, Hollister, Salinas, Gonzales, Soledad, Greenfield, King City, Castroville, and Watsonville
  • Units in Monterey, Marina, Hollister, and Salinas are reserved for seniors and disabled persons
  • Onsite educational and recreational programs for the residents in our rental properties.
  • Home ownership opportunities for very low and low and moderate-income families
  • Waiting list of 1-3 years

In order to obtain an application for housing, you must call each property directly. The manager can answer questions regarding apartment availability, rent, income requirements or restrictions, and how to obtain an application for housing.
To access the Housing Hotline, please call (510) 247-8141.
Check here for the corresponding address and phone number: https://www.edenhousing.org/page/individual-properties

Subsidized housing with locations in Pacific Grove, Marina, Salinas, Watsonville, and Hollister

Free access to support services for residents

To see if you are eligible, click here.

Main Office: 123 Rico St, Salinas (831)-775-5000

Project Based Vouchers are a component of HACM’s Housing Choice Voucher Program. Under the project based program, the Housing Authority enters into an assistance contract with the landlord for specified units and for a specified term. The Housing Authority refers families from the waiting list to the project landlord to fill vacancies.

Locations in Monterey, Gonzales, Salinas, King City, Greenfield, Castroville, Marina, and Chualar

To apply, call: (831)-240-0900 or submit an online form by clicking on any of the properties here.

Two locations in Castroville (Cynara Court and Geil Street Apartments), one in Monterey (Van Buren Senior Housing), one in Salinas (Moon Gate Plaza), and one in Marina (Manzanita Place).

Rapid Rehousing (Temporary Rental Assistance)

Rapid Rehousing is an intervention designed to help individuals and families that don’t need intensive and ongoing supports to quickly exit homelessness and return to permanent housing.

Typical Rapid Rehousing components include deposit, first month or last month rent, with rental assistance up to a defined number of months.

318 Cayuga Street Suite 208, Salinas  (831) 757-2968

  • Must be referred through CARS
  • For persons with a disability that is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • Deposit assistance, short term rental assistance, moving cost, utility payment assistance

To apply: Contact CCCIL to schedule an appointment and provide an ID, Social Security Card, Proof of Income, and 3 Day Notice or Lease (if applicable).

1111 San Felipe Road Suite 206, Hollister (831) 638-3315

  • Must be referred through CARS
  • Must be a San Benito County Emergency Shelter client to qualify
  • Provides financial assistance with deposits and up to 6 months of rent

60 W. Market Street, Suite 130, Salinas  (831) 424-9186

**Must be CalWorks eligible and referred by the Monterey County Department of Social Services**

  • Financial assistance with rapid re-housing or those at risk of homelessness
  • In some cases will provide assistance with utilities

40 Bonifacio Plaza, Monterey  (831) 375-1184

  • Must be referred through CARS
  • For veterans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • Short term financial assistance with rent, moving expenses, security & utility deposits, utility costs, and emergency expenses

Housing Vouchers

Housing vouchers are the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

Rents are dependent on income.

Housing Authority Monterey County, 123 Rico Street, Salinas  (831) 775-5000

Santa Cruz Housing Authority (For San Benito County), 2160 41st Avenue, Capitola (831) 464-0170

~Provides a rent subsidy directly to the landlord for low income families, the elderly, and the disabled. Your rent is 30% of your income and the housing voucher covers the rest of the cost.

~Vouchers can be used anywhere in the United States but you cannot share a unit with anyone not on a voucher (I.e. a room in a house).

~A suitable unit must be found within at or below Fair Market Rent and pass inspections by the housing authority. The landlord must also be willing to work with the housing authority.

**Housing choice vouchers often have a long waiting period** Your place on the wait list is based on your priority. Check here to find out if the wait list is open: http://www.hamonterey.org/hcv-section-8/applicants/

Dorothy’s Place, 30 Soledad St, Salinas, CA (Walk-ins only)

Central Coast Center for Independent Living (CCCIL) 318 Cayuga Street, Suite 208, Salinas (831) 757-2968

Housing Resource Center, 201 John St A, Salinas (831) 424-9186

~These housing choice vouchers are distributed through the agencies above to homeless clients.

~One year of case management is provided by referring agency

~The vouchers must follow Housing Authority eligibility guidelines.

Major General Gourley VA- DoD Outpatient Clinic, 201 9th Street, Marina (800) 455-0057

~Housing choice vouchers that are set aside for homeless veterans, particularly chronically or long term homeless vets

~Veterans who receive these vouchers must follow by the Housing Authority eligibility requirements and guidelines for housing choice vouchers

Coordinated Assessment and Referral System (CARS)